Left Brain Report
To: Nursing Manager
1. Washer is unplugged and non-functional. Based on the electrical burn odor I suspect the motor is ruined. Reason: overfill and industrial use of home style washer.
2. Budget Justification: Replacement of appliances, mattresses, bedding and supplies necessary to care for growing number of patients who are incontinent not anticipated during budget prep.
3. Room changes and care plans altered to reduce incidents named above. The psychiatric conditions of our patients minimize success of patients’ understanding to participate in changing behaviors.
4. Nelda is exhibiting new behaviors the team may want to address.
Right Brain Report
Urinary Spring Floods
Another One Bites the Dust- Washer, NOT patient. The washer in laundry room (nearest D3) sustained a slow burn when Freida Frequency’s saturated bedding and wedge pillow overfilled its drum. The washer was reported as not working and our noses detected the tell-tale scent of electrical and metallic burn. Said appliance was unplugged on 6/1/18 at 0800 and a brief prayer of gratitude that St Florian, patron saint of fires, was unnecessary as the once fierce agitator’s time of death was confirmed. Nurse Evelyn completed a work order about the washer’s demise.
Frieda’s mattress was replaced in the last 3 months. The new one is likely saturated given the volume of urinary exposure and the tributaries pooling beneath and around the Isle of Frieda.
Darrel Bellow’s bathroom habits are not fully understood except for the following:
• He has URGENCY and Frequency of both bladder and bowel (based on hallway sniff test).
• Locked bathrooms are a huge barrier for a man of his age.
• He is unwilling to allow ANY medical intervention
• His bedroom’s bathroom is green-locked (closed) for an unspecified time for repairs.
• He occupies the Community Bathroom so often thus delaying other’s use
Nelda Border regaled evening staff with a new behavior as proof of her dire medical/medicinal needs and aptitude for drama and attention. She lay face down on the floor of her bedroom (no fall was involved) urinating all over herself and the floor. She laid amid her custom tidepool until she tired of it. Finally retiring and going to bed in trade for some Benadryl. Staff wisely downplayed the entire scene and cleaned up the mess and laundry as though no big deal.
That’s all Folks,
Ima Story, RN